1) Our company is smaller than most, and as a result our apprentices get up-close experience with ALL aspects of production.
2) We keep in touch with our apprentices, and many often come back to work with the company in some capacity. In fact, Joey Santia, last year’s Hamlet began as an acting apprentice.
3) By being a part of this professional production, you will grow as an artist. Master classes with theater professionals are available (and required) for apprentices in every department.
4) We are just a short train ride to New York City, and you’ll receive a transportation stipend.
5) Rowayton, CT is an idyllic spot to spend a few weeks in early summer – with fireflies in Pinkney Park and beautiful sunsets along the Five Mile River.
Interested? Here's a brief overview of the apprenticeships we offer (but please visit the official link for complete job description and application requirements).
ARTS ADMINISTRATION: Will experience the many facets of arts administration including: marketing, education, box office, house management, and fundraising and development to name a few.
ACTING: We offer two types of acting apprenticeships SOS Players and Mainstage.
- SOS Players: A group of 4-5 actors will work with the Playwriting and Directing Apprentices to devise a 30-minute version of Macbeth appropriate for a young audience. The play will tour local schools and libraries and, once we are in production, be performed nightly. Additionally, each actor will understudy a role in the mainstage production of Macbeth and be required to attend some mainstage rehearsals.
- Mainstage: This year we seek 2 males and 1 female for the mainstage production. Mainstage Acting Apprentices will play small roles in our production of Macbeth.
COSTUME: Works directly with the costume designer and wardrobe supervisor. Duties include: assisting the costume designer in pulling costumes; attend and assist in costume fittings; assist in costume alterations; work with the wardrobe supervisor during the run of the show; laundering the costumes nightly. Applicant should have sewing skills
DIRECTING: Will direct the 30 version of Macbeth for a young audience and will also assist the director of the mainstage Macbeth.
EDUCATION: Will perform wide array of duties throughout the apprenticeship. Responsibilities include: Creating and implementing the curriculum for The Groundlings summer camp (7-9 year olds) and MACBETH Jr. camp (10-13 year olds) which results in a 45 minute version of Macbeth; creating Macbeth study guides; creating, implementing and running activities at the First Folio Kids Corner during the run of the production.
PLAYWRITING: Along with the Directing Apprentice and the SOS Players, will write a 30 version of Macbeth appropriate for a young audience.
PRODUCTION: Will be designed around the successful candidate’s specific interest within the realm of technical theater which includes: prop design; lighting design; sound design; set construction; production management; producing.
STAGE MANAGEMENT: Will assist the Stage Manager and Assistant Stage Manager for Macbeth. During rehearsals in NYC the Stage Management apprentice will work closely with the SM and ASM performing a myriad of duties including keeping line note to maintaining the rehearsal space.
**Please contact Claire Kelly at email@example.com with any questions.